The Grounds and Housekeeping Supervisor is responsible for assisting the Director of Facilities with day-to-day operations. Operations Supervisor has two major functions. 1) Supervision of all grounds, housekeeping and security staff to ensure quality and quantity of work performed meets Zoo’s standards. 2) Ensures that the park, staff and visitor areas are clean and free of safety hazards. The Grounds and Housekeeping Supervisor must work hours appropriate to meet the needs of Zoo staff and visitors and consistent with peak season days and hours. Regular weekend and occasional evening hours are required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Director of Facilities in overseeing daily operations of, grounds, housekeeping, and security sections.
- Act as Zoo’s liaison and/or supervise work performed by external vendors.
- Ensure that Director of Facilities safety, emergency and standard operating procedures are being adhered to by assigned staff.
- Assist Director of Facilities, when requested, in the development and implementation of short and long range planning.
- Distribute work assignments to staff Ensure work orders are assigned by priority and that emergency requests are responded to in a timely fashion.
- Purchase new materials, parts or other supplies as required to responsibly maintain our exhibits and facilities. Includes ensuring purchasing costs are lowest possible and is done within set operating budget parameters.
- Perform repair, maintenance, cleaning, security or other in the field tasks when requested by Director of Facilities or when required to meet visitor, staff and collection needs.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Supervise daily operations of all, housekeeping, security and grounds department.
- Assist Director of Facilities in the recruiting, hiring, training of new staff. Includes training existing staff in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Provide mentoring, coaching and direction to assigned staff to ensure operating standards are met. This includes keeping Director of Facilities informed of all performance problems and recommendation of corrective action when required.
- Prepare draft annual staff appraisals and submit to Director of Facilities for review, comment and final approval.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work with and to supervise others in a positive, encouraging manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to encourage respect and trust of employees.
- Well-organized and able to think well on his/her feet.
- Ability to represent the organization and to maintain professionalism in the various situations.
- Knowledge of general machinery and equipment located on property.
- Good computer skills in various types of basic programs.
Must be able to work outside year-round under typical Tennessee temperatures, sometimes for extended periods of time. Must be able to stand and/or sit at a desk for extended periods of time in a small workspace and bend down. Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds.
Minimum high school diploma or GED equivalent required. Minimum 6 years experience as a Supervisor and in the Facility Maintenance field.